Let’s face it, most kids enjoy eating sweet treats but not all the treats they like are healthy — so let’s give them the best of both worlds! Oatmeal is a healthy snack for everyone — it has lots of proteins, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals. Sadly, many foods that kids love are not rich in nutrients so letting them eat Quaker Oats will not just make them happy, but healthy too!
Quaker Oats Cream Pie
Serves 14-15 cookie sandwiches
Ingredients for cookies:
– 3 cups (240g) Quaker Rolled Oats*
– 1 and 1/4 cups (2.5 sticks; 290g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
– 1 cup (200g) packed dark brown sugar
– 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
– 1 large egg, at room temperature
– 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
– 1 Tablespoon dark molasses**
– 1 and 1/2 cups (187g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves***
*Use Quaker Instant Oats as an alternative.
**Use honey as an alternative.
***Use nutmeg as an alternative.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium-high speed until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and molasses, scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and oats.
4. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. The dough will be quite thick and you may have to mix it all by hand after a few seconds in the mixer. Drop dough with a large cookie scoop, or make sure each ball of dough is 2 Tablespoons. Cookies will spread in the oven, so drop each ball of dough 3 inches apart.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Ingredients for Cream filling:
– 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks; 175g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
– 3 cups (360g) confectioners’ sugar
– 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream
– 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
– salt, to taste
1. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Taste and add a pinch or two of salt, as needed. If filling is way too thick, add a couple more teaspoons of heavy cream.
2. Spread 1.5 Tablespoons of cream filling on the bottom side of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies, right side up.
Enjoy your Quaker Oats cream pie!